Whether it’s the stress of coronavirus, the transition to working from home, or the fact that your kitchen is accessible all day long, it seems like our appetites have been increasing since socially distancing…and that’s okay! We’ve been getting creative in the kitchen to ensure we’re making delicious snacks that make us feel nourished.
One of our Gillco employees shared her favorite energy bite recipe and we had to share. Energy bites have a satiating combination of healthy fats, protein, good carbs, and fiber. They are also easy to make and there are no shortage of different variations to try (blueberry muffin, strawberry shortcake or peanut butter to name a few!)
Try this recipe from Recipe Runner…you won’t regret it.
PEANUT BUTTER MOCHA ENERGY BITES
• 6 tablespoons peanut butter
• 3 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup quick oats, gluten free if needed
• 1/4 cup flax meal
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon espresso powder (if you don’t want espresso, just remove!)
• 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
1. Stir together the peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla until combined. Add in the oats, flax, cocoa powder (sifted if lumpy) and espresso powder then stir until a dough forms. If the dough is dry add in 1-2 tablespoons of milk or water.
2. Scoop the dough into tablespoon size portions and roll into a ball with your hands. Stored the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for several months.