Nisaplin® and Novasin™The active compound of Nisaplin® and Novasin™ products is nisin, a natural bacteriocin produced by fermentation of Lactococcus lactis, a bacteria strain which occurs naturally in milk.
Nisaplin® and Novasin™ are effective against a broad range of Gram-positive bacteria, including Listeria, Clostridium, Bacillus and lactic bacteria. This results in either a killing or growth inhibitory activity against vegetative cells by targeting the cytoplasmic membrane, or prevention of the outgrowth of heat-resistant spores.
The key benefits for customers and end consumers of using Nisaplin® / Novasin™ products are:
- Gram-positive bacterial pathogen risk reduction as part of a multifactorial protective system
- shelf life extension or maintenance of a wide range of heat-treated and acidic foods
Additional specific customer benefits besides food safety and food preservation can be:
- Replacement of chemical preservatives by a natural and safe solution
- Possible reduction of heat treatment and processing time, therefore increased productivity with more consistent product quality
- Allowing for new product formulation (low salt/fat, high moisture, high pH)
How to choose the right Nisaplin® and Novasin™ product?
Main application areasDairy products such as processed cheese and cheese spreads, direct acidified cheeses, pasteurized dairy desserts, fresh dairy products
- Dressings and sauces
- Meat products
- Liquid eggs
- Canned foods
Contact us to help you choose the right Nisaplin® and Novasin™ product.